Friday, January 4, 2008

Thing #9

I'm proud to say I did this assignment all by myself. I'm not going to reveal how much time it took me, but let's say LOTS! I added two feeds to my RSS: Librarian's Internet Index: New This Week and Abby (the) Librarian. They seemed interesting at the time. The good thing about adding these feeds is the option to delete if I find them tedious or irrelevant.

I tried viewing Feedster, but it was changing and not up at the time. Google's Blog Search was really easy, I guess because it's format is so familiar anyway. I like how Google keeps a consistent look about its applications. It is less intimidating to me. When I searched Learning 2.0 in Google's Blog Search, I saw the coolest thing. Quintura for Kids has a search engine that changes when the cursor is placed on tags.It finds related topics and nonrelated ones disappear. Neat stuff!

Topix was too much for me. The links connected fast, but it was just overwhelming with so much stuff! I've learned that MORE is not always better. Plus, I read two stories that had sentence fragments in them. The old English teacher in me knocks it down in the reliability catagory right away!

Syndic8 was overloaded with statistics--more so than useful information to me. I found a dead link on it, and I got into a subscribing situation where they utilized Paypal and charged "a modest fee". I immediately exited Syndic8!

Suprglue was very useful and easy. I liked the Suprtags they provided for easy searching.

I was not very impressed with Technorati from a school librarian's perspective. Too much of what I looked at had really vulgar language and descriptions, but I was looking at some entertainment items at the time. Maybe it was my poor choice, but I could never have this available for middle school students to view--especially at MY school, if you know what I mean!

No comments: