Thursday, January 3, 2008

Thing #8

Wow. This assignment really took me a while. First I tried the Google route, but I got too lost and switched to Bloglines. The validation went quickly, and I found the search and subscribing options pretty easy to operate. What I like most about the newsreader is the fact that, like iGoogle, I can customize and choose the information coming to me instead of wading through random news that may not fall in my interest areas at all. In my personal life, the local news source will be most important. The DMN is not always known for its objectivity, but at least the perspectives are somewhat consistent for this locale. As a librarian, I can get cutting edge information from the library-related feeds that come to me instead of me trying to find what I don't know out in the vast information world. At school, the library can steer students in a direction that provides them with valid and relevant information sources instead of allowing them to go straight to the time-consuming web surfing with which teens are so comfortable. If this old dog can try it, I think middle school students can, too!

No comments: