Monday, January 7, 2008

Thing #13

What a great idea to have a way to find your favorite bookmarked websites anywhere and any time! A very frustrated researcher must have thought of this! I loved the layout of Ma.gnolia better than Furl just because I'm a visual person who likes order and a little white space when I read. Also, Ma.gnolia's option to keep bookmarks private is nice, although I can't think of a reason educators would want to hide their great finds! I saw some neat video interview sites on Del.icio.us and thought it would be a fun thing to have potential library aides submit their own. That would sure let a librarian know who was technology savvy! I don't think teachers could submit their recommendations under comments, though, since those are usually submitted separately to encourage candor and ensure confidentiality.

I tried to think of ways to incorporate this bookmarking into research lessons for students, but I think my students are better suited for the school's databases. Frankly, so am I! Right now I'm just exploring the options. Once proficiency occurs, then I'll see about sharing it with students.

2 comments:

mmw said...

You may find that social bookmarking is a tool you want to use with teachers in order to collaborate on locating web resourced for the kids to use. It's also neat to see what other people in the field have bookmarked.

Anonymous said...

Did you have any trouble trying to load the icon onto your tool bar? The only place I had success was at home on my Explorer toolbar. I really do like the collaboration idea that Mary mentioned, too.