Sunday, January 13, 2008

Thing #18

I spent three different days looking at some of the fun and useful (or not) sites. I was familiar with craigslist because my husband had used it before. It is a good tool to use for buying and selling just about anything! It's a much easier way to find common and not-so-common items than ebay. I tried to peek at Cocktailbuilder, from home of course, but I kept getting the "cannot connect to the server" error. Maybe later. I found listdump very interesting and easy to navigate. One list focused on the most beautiful moutains in the U.S. It was interesting because it provided pictures and information for potential travelers. The site also provided the opportunity to comment and save the info. The tags on the sidebar were helpful as well. I saw one list, though, that made me think this is something to be careful about using at school. It was a list of douchebags: a classy online way of bashing people! The list (of course I looked at it!) ranged from Pres. George W. Bush (not a surprise) to Jesus Christ!!! I was thinking about lists of favorite books in varying genres, but I can just see my middle school students getting on the douchebag list instead! Hey, it was on the Top Lists section...I didn't go searching for it! :0

I am still trying to work out an online collection development list for the middle school librarians and got stuck again on thinkfree. It seemed easy enough, except I cannot figure out how to make the columns on the spreadsheet long enough to accomodate book titles, author's names, etc. The tool bar is very minimal, and I can't find any help sections. This was my second attempt to make an editable, online spreadsheet. It will happen, ladies. If you give it a try and succeed, let me know!

No comments: