Sunday, January 6, 2008

Thing #12

This assignment took me a couple of days and lots of outside help to get accomplished! I definitely was more familiar with My Space than Facebook because my girls are on it all the time. I'm having trouble with my links right now. Here's my address until I can get it to work: myspace.com/dusty_shelf .


The Ning social network was easier than all the options on My Space. I think I like it better for that simple reason: too many choices! Ditto on my linking issues for Ning. My address is mesquitelibrarians.ning.com/profile/Brenda .


I think educators need to know about social networking for several reasons. They can learn from others in the field about current issues and events in the school arena. They can also learn a lot about their students' personal lives since they all have accounts (ha!). Just starting an account like this teaches so many technology lessons, such as uploading music, videos, layouts, etc. I like the way these networks can make work fun and put lots of visuals in it to keep it lively. The Ning network seems more professional, but maybe that's because I feel safer on it for some reason than on My Space. I think that's just because My Space has had so much bad press for being abused by bad people. A library application for a social network would include a book discussion and submissions for poetry contests.

No comments: