Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Thing #14

I was thankful this assignment didn't involve any new skills, thinking I would fly through without increasing my blood pressure. Well, reading all the new expectations of librarians in the 2.0 era and those to come didn't put me at ease! I realize, though, that old school ideas are best left for cheesy t-shirt lines and that librarians have to really work hard to keep up with the ever-changing information needs of the technology savvy and techno-hungry patrons of today.

I liked the article that called patrons "active and empowered users" because so many of our students and members of the community help challenge libaries with more sophisticated needs and requests, which we should accept as gentle demands. Library 2.0 to me means that there is no resting, no settling, and no acceptance of complacency. I wouldn't like to see it in my childrens' teachers' attitudes, and librarians should be held to that standard of excellence (if not a higher one). The school librarian of the future will have to be a constant student him/herself. He/she cannot be the keeper of the goods, but a risk taker with an attitude that 24/7 is not just a catchy buzz phrase to put in a mission statement but a reminder that the information world is in a constant state of change. Avoid the icebergs and get that boat rowing! Those who choose otherwise need to abandon ship and let someone else take the oars.

2 comments:

The Loud Librarian said...

Your post made me laugh-in a serious way, though. I thought it was funny when you said you were glad it wasn't a new skill. How quickly that calm went away. I have been delaying this "Thing" because I quickly realized what a reflective Thing this one was. Just when I think I know what Library 2.0 is, more information is thrown out there. Library 4.0?!?! You are so right: Either row faster or jump ship!

Zeeburt said...

It's not just librarians who need to open their eyes to the world our students are inhabiting. Many teachers are extremely resistant to change. That is completely understandable, given the huge number of expectations from the district, state, and federal levels, and the refusal of these parties to add any paid work and training days to teacher contracts. There are no easy solutions, but every educator should be committed to lifelong learning. Otherwise, they're in the wrong profession.