Monday, October 22, 2007

Thing #4

There are several ways I could use my blog to support my students and the library program. Simple reasons would include publicizing upcoming book fairs, conducting booktalks, and showing photos of students and staff members reading. (Karen W. brought up the legal implications of using student pictures. We'd have to do that appropriately.) Teen Read Week and other literacy promotions can be conducted on a blog.

Student work can also be showcased on a blog. For instance, during National Poetry Month, my library and English department holds a poetry contest. Poems have always been voted on by a committee. Perhaps students could vote as well, just like the reality shows! (Only not via text messaging!)

I have considered starting a book club for my students, but the majority of our kids ride a bus; therefore, afterschool meetings are impossible. Mornings are so hectic, that I'm afraid I'd have too many interruptions to make a discussion feasible. Book clubs by blogging might be the best option for middle school students.

I keep a binder for students to recommend books and rate them for other students to consider. This could now be done on a blog. The SAT Vocabulary words promoted by the Future Quest program can be listed, defined, and posted on the blog. Maybe students can comment about how and when they encountered these words outside a vocabulary lesson. These are just a few of the ways to start out using my blog in a public way.

3 comments:

mmw said...

I LOVE the idea of having an SAT words blog and letting students comment on ways that they have used the words in actual conversation.

The great thing about blogs is their capabiity for communication. When you are thinking of ways to use them, always try and include a "communication" piece, so they aren't just one-way, like a newsletter or e-mail.

smaileh said...

You've got some great ideas for using your blog. I had been toying with the idea of a virtual book club, but had been looking into a message board sort of environment. The blog world never even occurred to me! Hmmm. Now that's got me thinking....

Varsity Reader said...

I like your idea about using a blog for special literary promotions (i.e. poetry week). What a useful tool to increase student involvement.