Monday, October 22, 2007

Thing #1

Okay. True confession time! I'll admit that I have been dreading this whole 2.0 project as much as a root canal because I always feel inadequate when it comes to new technology. I barely know how to use the main remote control of the three that sit on my coffee table, and I feel victorious by the fact that I can successfully warm a Hot Pocket in my microwave!

After reading the information in Thing #1, however, I realize how far behind I will be if I don't jump in and make the new technology available to me part of my daily life--on campus and off. I will give myself permission to make errors and to be less than stellar since I, too, am emerging. By putting myself in my mother's shoes, I realize that if I don't keep up with current ways to communicate, I'll have to rely on somone else to do the very least of everyday tasks such as paying bills, ordering prescriptions, etc.

Putting aside my apprehension and "old dog" mentality, I am thankful for the opportunity the MISD is providing to learn these skills...on school time, earning PGH credit, and receiving PFK dollars! My daughters will be excited, and somewhat freaked out, about their mom getting an iPod! Will they be surprised I will use it for listening to downloaded books? Definitely not. :)

1 comment:

anniebody said...

I'm with you. I sometimes feel that technology is passing me by, but I'm holding on and trying to keep up. I was a caretaker for a 96 year old lady who didn't want a microwave because she didn't know how to work one. I couldn't exist without my microwave; maybe one day I'll feel that way about all of this other technology.